Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Help Me Understand...Really


So they've built a couple of buildings in my neighborhood.  After all they proposed, the final product is beautiful.  I've talked to my neighbors, and everyone seems pleased.  Pleased that construction is almost over and we'll have some peace and quiet and no dust!  But also pleased with the landscaping and the walking paths and the community playground with picnic tables, and with the promise of a convenient fitness center.
We always knew there would be college students living in close proximity.  But the college students living in Faith West agree to certain rules, one of which is no alcohol in their apartment.  Woo hoo!  No loud parties there, no parties spilling over onto my street!  Not only that, but the residents of the building will be doing community outreach, which could include cleaning the neighborhood or shoveling snow for the neighbors.  Who wouldn't be happy about that?
My biggest concern was added traffic on our street, and I was assured at a community meeting early on that they would be responsive to any complaints we had about students who might drive recklessly on our street.  This week, that happened; a student nearly side-swiped a car.  I reported it, and within 20 minutes, I had a response.  A good response; one that was satisfactory to me.

So, my friends, what is with you???
Seriously, I need to know--what is with you??
Let's talk.

In June 2012, I wrote a series of blogs about the Faith West project.  Because here's the thing--from the very beginning, the minister and committee members of Faith Church talked to neighbors, involved us in the project, and got to know us as people.  I have had numerous e-mails and conversations with Pastor Viars and members of his staff and congregation.  I have been treated with respect and kindness, and my opinions have been heard.  I am a woman and an "out" lesbian, and they have never once treated me any differently than they have my neighbors.  I will tell you that I do not wear "rose colored glasses" when it comes to Faith West--I am ALWAYS on the alert.  But I've not seen it.  And, if I do, you gotta know, if you know me, that the full force of my words and actions would come out to fight that injustice.  But I haven't seen it.
So when I hear derogatory comments from my friends regarding Faith West, I am confused.  Perhaps they have had personal experiences with Pastor Viars or members of his congregation that are different from mine (keeping in mind that everyone has a bad day, and no one person is the "face" of a church)?  That's entirely possible.  I would like to hear from you.
Or perhaps...perhaps...my friends are being a tad bit judgmental?  Maybe?
I'm going to play a little game.  I'm going to take the comments I've had friends make to me, and I'm going to insert another group of people in, in place of Faith West, just to check my friend's tolerance meter, and maybe to prove my point:

  • "I don't care if it is beautiful.  They should have to pay taxes on those apartments they've built."  OK, for this one, there is no "tolerance meter."  Yes, of COURSE they will pay taxes on rental property.  My church did, as do other churches.  Also, the restaurant will pay sales tax, and the bank--a separate entity--will do what banks do.  Faith Church is waiting to be told what taxes are relevant, just as any other religious organization would.  
  • "Those Christian Jewish students are made to sign a covenant to live there.  They have to agree to be alcohol and drug-free kosher.  I should take some beer pork chops over and hand them out."  Ummm...yeah, in most apartment complexes and dorms, you have to agree to abide by rules.  It sounds like Faith West will actually be able to enforce said rules.  They're not forcing anyone to live there.
  • "What the heck--have you seen the sculpture in front of the Faith West Islamic Center?  Anyone know what it means?"  Comments after this question was posed included "Somewhat militaristic" and "Anti-Science".  I wonder if the comments would be the same if it was an Islamic Center sculpture?  Or were they just having a bit of fun?  For the record, the sculpture is "Iron on Iron", and the inspiration comes from Proverbs 27:17--"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another."  Militaristic?  One person helping another person to be "sharper"--smarter, better?  Anti-Science?  How can the elemental representation for Iron (FE) be anti-science?  And, I might point out, they could just as easily put a big ol'cross up there, and THEN WHAT would people have said???  The sculpture, in my opinion, is a nice addition to the site. 
  • And finally, my favorite:  "Do you know the residents have to promise to attend a religious ceremony once a week?"  O....K....And did you know that the residents are not required to go to Faith Church?  That the "religious ceremony" could easily be the UU Church down on Meridian?

Let's talk about this.  Help me understand.  Is this a knee-jerk reaction to Christianity in general, or to Faith Church in particular?  Keep in mind that I will always give people the benefit of the doubt, even you.  I also believe people change, and that they become "softer" in their old age--not everything is black and white, but grey.  AND, I believe that rumors are rumors, but actual first-hand experience is real.
And I firmly believe that we need to work, every day, to try to understand one another.  For goodness sakes, we have to all live together on this planet, in this community.  We should follow the Golden Rule.  And, until proven otherwise, I will respect my neighbors.  Because I should.

1 comment:

Dave B said...

I had a very negative experience at Faith a few years back. If they moved in next door to me I probably wouldn't be very happy about it, but despite the fact I have a legit and real reason to dislike them, if they were treating me well as a neighbor like they appear to be treating you, I'd think I'd probably tolerate them and not start groping for reasons to object to their efforts.