Sometimes, I just have to send something off to the newspaper. Today, after slogging through two full pages of letters, I felt the need again. Most of the letters were written by well-meaning citizens, but a large majority were clearly written right after the author had listened to Rush Limbaugh or watched Fox News. You could tell, because the latest Rove-induced rant is about ACORN, and a lot of the letters reflected that.
Anyway, here's my latest:
To the Editor:
Thank you, Betty Doversberger and the League of Women Voters, for reminding us of our responsibility as citizens of the United States. It is our duty to be well-informed when we step up to cast our votes on November 4th. Judging by some current Letters to the Editor, a few of us have lost sight of the importance of reading and thinking for ourselves. Some of the blame for that lies with the media, especially those who think civil discourse means yelling the loudest and telling the most outrageous lies. They know their listeners will repeat, word for word, what they have heard.
However, I place much of the blame squarely on the shoulders of the Republican Party and their candidates for president and vice president. Instead of spending the last few weeks speaking about the economy, health care, and energy policies, they have engaged in what is, quite frankly, hate speech. And they have chosen to ignore the fact that they are riling up the extreme faction of their supporters; not once have they stopped a rally to denounce those who have gone so far as to suggest Barack Obama should be killed. I’m sorry, but I don’t want the next leaders of this country, when tested by some foreign power, to sound just like radical fundamentalists, inciting the American people to scream, “Death to the Infidels!” We are so much better than that. Aren’t we?
No comments:
Post a Comment