Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Aging has its rewards

Turned 50, had to get new glasses.  I already have the bifocal thing, so didn't feel extra-elderly when having the eye exam done.  I can still read pretty well without the glasses, so that hasn't started to annoy me either. The doctor was efficient and funny (in a good way).


 All in all, it was a good experience, until it came time to pick out the frames.  I hate it!  I'm always 10 years behind the times (just ask my sister), so all the frames looked extra "trendy" and, well, just not "me".  The woman helping me was very patient, and eased me from "but these are not anything like my old pair" to "well these aren't as hideous as I thought they would be" in under an hour.  I wouldn't be surprised if she had to go home and drink--heavily.

She quickly figured out I would not do pointy--honestly, are cat eye glasses really coming back??!

She steered me away from the red ones, for good reason--my "Sally Jesse Raphael" days are WAY behind me! They were "bitchin" though, weren't they?



Then, after finally selecting a pair, there comes the wait.....and the buyer's remorse:  "Did I buy the really hideous ones?"   "I'll bet Karen (or Erika) will really hate them!"  "They aren't really pointy, are they?"




Finally picked them up tonight, and they're not too bad.  A little more square-shaped than the last pair.  [Check out the door behind me--I love that our front door is metal!].  I have Karen's approval, but Erika hasn't seen them, so I'm still a little nervous.





                            But check out the inside--they are lime green!:







I was also brave enough to select
(again, on my own!), a pair of sunglasses.  I'm pretty sure I could be the wintertime version of Louise!
Orrrrrrrr......not.





It will be a couple of days before I get used to these new specs, so if you see me headed right into traffic, feel free to yell, "Magoo!"




1 comment:

Cindy said...

Who knew you were such a spectacle fashionista? You look fantastic - and if I'm wrong, not to worry, as your daughter will not hesitate to tell you!