This is the fact: The Catholic Church has not always been against abortion. I repeat: The Catholic Church has not always been against abortion. They have dithered, changed their collective mind a couple of times, but it's only been recently (in human terms) that they have been so forcefully against it. In fact, it was only in 1869 that Pope Pius IX declared the punishment for abortion was excommunication. What's further of interest to me is that it wasn't until 1917 that another pope said doctors and nurses who took part in abortions could be excommunicated. AND, it wasn't until 1974 that the Catholic Church determined life began at conception.
So what, you might ask? Well, I think I'm going to ask that they reconsider these new decisions. I mean, it's only been 141 years that this most recent opinion has been in place, and maybe it's time to take a step back, breathe, and decide really what the churches' priorities truly should be. You know, in light of recent history and all.
Because kids have been, and are, being abused by priests. And those priests have been moved, relocated, "rehabilitated", pushed on, looked over, and well......certainly NOT excommunicated.
But recently, in Phoenix, Bishop Thomas Olmstead excommunicated...a nun. Wow, you might say, she must have done something really, really bad if she's been excommunicated and all those pedophile priests were not. What was her heinous crime?
Mercy Sister McBride was excommunicated for "allowing" a woman to have an abortion in her hospital. This woman, a mother of 5, was dying from pulmonary hypertension. Her doctor advised her to have an abortion, and she agreed with this advice. Sister McBride was on call as a member of the hospital's ethics committee, and she was part of a group of people, including the doctor and patient, who decided an abortion was the best option to save the life of the critically ill woman. A critically ill woman with 5 children at home.
I cannot pretend to know the feelings of each member of this group of people, but I think I can safely say the decision was not made lightly, nor in haste, nor was it an easy decision. But ultimately, the woman and her healthcare provider decided it was the right one, and that should be that.
Unless you're Mercy Sister McBride. Then you're kicked out of your church. Right NOW. Because. Because the Bishop didn't think you could be "rehabilitated" or relocated or whatever. The Bishop thought you were a horrible, heinous, menace to.......................well, not to the woman or her 5 children who needed her..........and probably not to her husband...........and probably not to the family or friends of the woman........but a dreadful, wicked person who ruined the lives of
After careful thought, here is my letter:
Dear Pope,
Please excommunicate pedophile priests who destroy the lives of children.
Immediately.
That is all.
Thank you.
Gale
P.S. I suggest you hold on to the nuns; they are the ones making you look good these days. Especially Mercy Sister McBride.


3 comments:
Law against abortion appeared nowhere until the late 1800s; it's a new-ish phenomenon. And yet abortion has been around since the beginning of time. And it likely isn't going anywhere.
I love your letter to the pope! Hope you actually send it, haha.
I love your letter to the pope! I hope you actually send it! haha
Post a Comment