Sunday, September 19, 2010

Once Again, Rachel Gets It




This clip is the best I've seen on Rachel's show in a while; she and Prof. Melissa Harris-Lacewell so eloquently speak to the issue that I just had to share it.
Here's the crux of the issue, in case you missed it:  If you are against abortion EVEN IN THE EVENT OF RAPE OR INCEST, you are saying that you are willing for your government to arrest and force an 11 (or 12 or 43 year old--does the age really matter) year old to give birth to her rapists' child.  Really?  You, as a woman, are willing to do that?  To force a child to give birth against her will?
Now don't go all soft on me and start qualifying it...."Well, I really just think the doctor should be arrested."  or "Of course, the woman would not go to jail!"  Really???   Think this through.  You could arrest every single doctor who provides health care to women, and a desperate woman will still find a way to have an abortion.  The only logical conclusion to your argument is to start incarcerating pregnant women, and force them to give birth.
Don't have the stomach for that?  Then step away from your total, absolute belief that abortion should never be allowed.  Other women will thank you for it.
I could get started on the hypocrisy of the libertarians and Tea Partiers who are against reproductive rights for women, but I'll save that for another time.

No comments: