I really want to send this as a Letter to the Editor to our local newspaper; I think people in District 27 deserve to know about the Republican candidate. But I'm afraid to; I'm afraid of repercussions from Donn Brown or his friends. It's a very sad day in America when a citizen is afraid to speak out against another; it's sad that our civil discourse as sunk so low.
If I could, I would write the following:
"To the Editor:
I would like to issue a “voter beware” for those in District 27. First, a disclaimer—I do not vote in District 27, and am asking you consider what I say as a cautionary tale.
I first “met” Donn Brown in April 2007, when I sat next to him at a speech I attended at Purdue University. I have attended a lot of public events, and have held public office. But I have never, ever encountered what I did that night, sitting next to Mr. Brown. He heckled the speaker, not once, but twice—standing up and shouting things. The second time he disrupted the speech, I politely asked him to sit down, pointing out that it was not his turn to speak. He threatened me, asking if I wanted to step outside.
The next time I "met" Mr. Brown, he was the head of Citizens in Action, the local Tea Party group. The group had organized 2 "Question and Answer" forums about the Health Care Reform bill that was being debated in Washington. I had expected the sessions to be one-sided, but was taken aback by Mr. Brown's complete control of the microphone. Each forum opened with Mr. Brown "lecturing" for 30-45 minutes, followed by a number of speakers who supported his positions completely. There was no real "discussion" of the issues, and facts about the bill were few. At the first forum, I attempted to tell of my experiences with the British Health Care System. He cut me off, and it wasn't until later in the "Q & A", when a woman directed a question to me, that I was "allowed" to finish. At the second forum, Mr. Brown made it clear that I could speak, but I would not be allowed to use his microphone--this in a room of over 200 people. I'm not even sure he heard me, let alone others in the room.
Contrast this with incumbent Sheila Klinker--every time I see her, she greets me by name, asks about my family, and listens. It's not just me--I've seen her do it over and over and over again, with anybody who approaches her.
Voters in District 27, I ask you to think about this before you cast your vote: If Donn Brown will not even listen to you, how do you expect him to represent you?"
By the way, here's a link to the article about the lecture I attended at Purdue--Mr. Brown is identified by name.
http://www.purdueexponent.org/index.php?module=article&story_id=5404
No comments:
Post a Comment