Friday, September 23, 2011

Present Meets Past

 So I have this key.  It doesn't look like much, but it's probably my most favorite key--that is, if a person is allowed to have a favorite.  It opens my grandmother's desk, which is my oldest possession, age-wise, and the possession I have had the longest (aside from my baby book and my Floppy Dog).  I know my dad had the desk, and gave it to me when I was in 3rd or 4th grade (I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but I think it was "given in lieu of child support"--why else would a little kid be allowed to have it?).  I loved it immediately--it has these pigeon holes for important stuff, and a door on hinges that opens up to form the desk top.  It's not a large desk, so it's been easy to move from place to place (Des Moines to Boston to California to Indiana), and from room to room--Erika "possessed" it for a while, but now it's mine again.  Sadly, I don't use it--there's no room for a monitor or a printer or a keyboard, and although I think it's tough enough to handle a little weight, I don't want to chance it.
For my birthday, Karen gave me a key cover that looks like a gnome head--it's awesome.  I decided to "class up" my desk key, and you can see the results
<----over there.  Perfection.
As I threaded the newly-coiffed key back on to the keychain, thought of the old meeting the new, I wondered what my grandmother would think of Karen.  To be sure, there were women who loved women back in my grandmother's time, and she might have known one or two.  I admit I didn't know my grandmother very well, but I do know that she was daring--she cut her hair in the 1920's, causing quite a scandal as she was a MOTHER!  She raised my liberal father and his Union-leader brother to be accepting of others, so with that in mind, I've decided that Grandma Kate would have liked Karen.
Thus endeth my musings on this Friday night...... 

No comments: