Saturday, July 14, 2012

Are You Thinking As You Speak?

Two days ago, an independent investigation into the actions (or inactions) of the Penn State Football program released the findings.
In short, Joe Paterno and his staff did nothing to protect the young boys who were being raped and molested by one of their own.  NOTHING.  And, by doing nothing, more boys were attacked by the evil that is named Sandusky. 
Joe Paterno?  Turns out he got a substantial reward for his behavior--in the form of a salary increase.  Yup, the Penn State "powers that be" decided the old guy was worth keeping around.  Even though he and his staff were allowing children to be sexually assaulted.  Not quite the legacy he thought he would leave, is it?  You know, I wish Joe Paterno were still alive, so he could lie awake at night, wondering who would be the next person to ask him to justify the unjustifiable.  I wish he was still alive to see his legacy collapse.  He deserves that, and so much more, for his terrible, horrible choices. Some of us thought it was bad enough that Joe Paterno, as Athletic Director, kept Rene Portland on as head women's basketball coach.  We thought it was terrible that a homophobic, emotionally abusive person was allowed to coach at Penn State.  I believe that Joe Paterno's own homophobic ignorance--his thought that Sandusky must be gay because he was attacking little boys--added to his reluctance to report, because God forbid that Penn State would have a faggot on staff.  How horrible would that be to the little game called football?!  Little did we know how far Joe Paterno would be willing to go.  And why would we? 
No matter how successful his teams, no matter how many wins they accumulated, nothing will ever compare to the devastation of young lives, all to protect a game.  An image. 
Joe Paterno gets the legacy he deserves.
And the reporters of this story?  How stupid can they be?  If I've heard it once, I've heard it a dozen times, the cautionary:  "This is hopefully a wake-up call to other athletic programs..."  REALLY?  You, stupid reporter, actually think there might be another place like Penn State, where young boys are raped and molested, and nobody does anything?  REALLY?
For the sake of children everywhere, I sincerely hope there is never, ever another place like the Penn State football facilities.  NEVER another Sandusky, never another whole bunch of cowardly men who could not find their human compassion and their voice in the midst of heinous acts being committed, over and over and over.  I hope there is never another institution who values a game over the health and safety of children.  To suggest, as reporters have done, that there ARE others, takes my breath away. 
I hope it is a wake-up call for all of us--a reminder that games are just games.  But the lives of children are worth so much more. 

No comments: