Wednesday, August 1, 2012

As You Chew on Your Chicken Sandwich

As you chew on your Chick-fil-A tonight, I'm going to take this opportunity and give you something to read too.
First of all, congratulations!  You really showed those fags and dykes, didn't you?  You're just sick and tired of them always whining about all that equality shit, and that marriage crap, and just being "in your face" about everything.  Fox Channel, Rick Santorum, and Mike Huckabee got it right--on August 1st, you got out there and supported that poor Mr. Cathy and his restaurant.  You feel pretty darn good about supporting him and his right to say what he does about the homosexual agenda, don't you?  "Those people" just got to remember this is AMERICA--a free country, and you're free to support whoever you want, and you did.
Not only that, you took your children with you--they need to know those queers are never going to win, not in this state.   Not in this country, no way.
What if I pointed out to you that your car mechanic is gay? That your cardiologist is a lesbian?  That the police officer you called the other night because you heard someone trying to get into your car--homosexual. And the person who fixed your furnace that really cold night?  Yup.  GAY.  Your son, or daughter--you know, the one who's so quiet tonight as you eat--that one.  They have a crush on their best friend, and they are choking on that hate-sandwich you're making them eat.
And me?  I'm one of those fucking dykes. You don't think I deserve the same rights you do.  I'm less human because of who I love.
I was once just like you--not hate-filled, never that--I was married once.  I know now I took so much for granted.  That legal contract between two adults--I never realized how many privileges I was allowed.  But now?  People like you celebrate the fact that I can't get married.  You gleefully throw money at the owner of a chicken place.  When Karen gets sick, you're happy I can't see her or make medical decisions on her behalf.  When I mention there are over 1,000 federal benefits that you and your spouse can have that Karen I and can't, you dance for joy.  Because you think we don't deserve what you have, because we're different.
Here's a thought to chew on--get to know us.  We are NOT so different from you.  We go to work, mow the lawn, paint our fences, watch the Olympics, eat at restaurants, go to movies, to church.....yes, to church.  We do have beliefs, some we have in common with you, some we definitely don't.
It's hard to hate someone you know.  And there are a lot of us out there, so you probably know more gays and lesbians than you think you do.  Some of us are in your family.  Don't kid yourself--you're hating on your niece, uncle, cousin, brother, daughter......
Stop it.
Stop hating those you don't understand.
Stop it.
Because hating just leads to more hate.  Why should I love you if you're so full of hatred toward me?  Why? Why should I help you with anything?
And if that hate-filled chicken sandwich clogs your arteries, I do hope your lesbian cardiologist doesn't feel the same way I do right now, because you're really going to need her.  Her, and that nice nurse who will be giving you the IV filled with life-saving drugs.
I hope they didn't drive by and see you going into Mr. Cathy's place tonight.  That would be awkward...


 

2 comments:

Lonnie said...

Great response!

Anonymous said...

I love you! You're awesome, Karen's awesome, and I'm kinda glad Chik-fil-a makes me sick, 'cause it gave me another excuse not to eat there. You know what? I love you even more because I just realized not eating there saved me money - you should put that as another one of your points.