Sunday, December 16, 2012

There are Many Things

There are many things I do not understand.  Most things about science, the natural world, technology--I don't understand, and yet I trust those who do understand to make sure the sun still comes up tomorrow, and that my computer still works.
I think I understand imagination and the use of words, and then I read an article or a book, and I realize there's so much I don't understand.
I don't understand the how-to of pottery, music, painting, but I can appreciate the finished product, and the skill and effort of the creative process.
I'm a human being, and yet there are a whole host of things I do not understand about my species.  I do understand tragedy.  I do understand the shock of the unthinkable.  I understand the exhilaration/utter fright of giving birth. 
I have experienced love, and the utter goofiness of it, but not obsessiveness or the need to utterly control that other person.
I have experienced sadness, but not utter despair or depression.
I have had people be angry at me, but have only felt truly threatened a couple of times.  I have never been in a situation where I have feared for my life.
I have felt physical pain.  But I've not used pain as a release from things building up inside of me.   
I have been afraid of dying.  I've been afraid an illness would kill me, or kill a loved one.  But I've not known what it feels like to lose a loved one at the hands of another.   
I have expressed anger, but have never wanted to hurt or kill that other person.
I have never lived in a country at war.  I don't know what it feels like to live in fear, every day, of bombs, guns, people who want to kill me because of where I live.
I think about spirituality, like to learn about the variety of spiritual beliefs, and have even been disgusted at the beliefs of others.  But I've never thought my way was the only true way to "paradise" or "heaven" or "hell", and I certainly never considered killing someone because they did not agree with me.
I understand what it's like to be different.  I don't understand what it feels like to be physically abused, to be bullied, to be harassed.    
I have known people with mental health issues, but have never experienced trying to find help--any help--for  a loved one. I don't understand why we don't talk about mental health issues until there's another tragedy. 
I do understand how you could yell at a child, but I can't understand, nor will I ever, how you could intentionally hurt a child. 
I do not understand guns.  I understand the need to protect oneself, but I do not understand how owning a gun would make me "feel safer".  I understand the right to own a gun, I understand the desire to hunt for food.
I believe I live in an intelligent, compassionate, thoughtful nation.  I don't understand the machinations of people in leadership positions, nor do I understand the utter need for power at the expense of ideals.
Yes, there are many things I know.  There are so many more I do not.
Today, there is one huge thing I do not understand:  How we, as a nation, cannot demand that our leaders sit down today and take action to ban--now and forever--private ownership of guns that are "semi-automatic".  I do not understand how we have allowed our country to become a place....a place where we think it's OK to make little kids practice "safety drills" and "lock-downs".  I don't understand how we continue to allow them to die in that one place they should know beyond knowing is safe for them.  I do not understand how we adults keep allowing that to happen. 
I do not understand, but I know this--we have failed.  Again. 







No comments: