So, I've been consumed. For the past few months, I've been consumed by the thought that Indiana would actual choose to put discrimination into the State Constitution. The proposed Amendment was 2 short sentences:
"Only a marriage between one (1) man and one (1) woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in Indiana.
A legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized."
Keep in mind, Indiana already has a law on the books that prohibits same-sex marriage, so this Amendment was redundant in a "Double Dog, we really don't like marriage equality" way.
For years, the Marriage Amendment was proposed during every legislative session, and for years, it never made it out of whatever committee it was assigned. Then, in 2012, the Republican party took control over both the Indiana House and the Senate, and the Marriage Amendment sailed out of committee and through both chambers during the 2013 Legislative Session. State law required it to be voted on again in the 2014 Legislative Session before it could be placed on the ballot for voters in November 2014 (perfect timing if the GOP wanted to solidify its' hold on state government, as not as many Democrats vote in off-year elections).
In 2013, I wrote to my legislators, and I went to a rally at the Statehouse, but felt like my voice was one of a tiny minority, overwhelmed by the right-wing "Christians" who seemed to own this issue, and the legislature. Both of my legislators voted in favor of the Amendment, and both told me they thought it should be sent to the voters--no question about it.
In Spring 2013, a small but dedicated group started meeting and discussing what we could do, locally, to fight the Amendment. This group was composed of religious leaders, and local LGBT organizations. Thanks to the tireless work of Tom McConville and others, we were able to host a number of local events, including a showing of "Inlaws & Outlaws", which raised awareness and a little money for the cause. I remember looking around the room at one of our meetings, looking at the faces of people who I knew would work so hard to defeat this Amendment, but who I knew had precious little free time to devote to the cause. I knew it would be a true grassroots effort, and that was, well, depressing. There would be so much to do, and so few to do it; after all, most of us worked full-time.
Then came September 2013. I received an e-mail from a friend, who asked if I would be willing to meet with Jeanie of Freedom Indiana. Of course I would! I wasn't sure what Freedom Indiana was, but I agreed to lunch, just to find out. What I found out was that we had help. We had someone who was willing to help us organize everything, and who could connect us to others in the state. Woo hoo!
The rest, as they say, is history. Just before Thanksgiving, I was asked to speak at my church about what I was thankful for. Here's a little bit of what I said:
All the organizing, all the letters, all the phone calls, all the support from allies and LGBT folk alike--ALL of it paid off! On January 27, 2014, OUR Representative, Randy Truitt, proposed an amendment to the Amendment. He proposed the 2nd sentence be removed. His amendment passed with Republican and Democrat support!!! This was a HUGE step, because by changing even one word it effectively started the Amendment process over--if his amendment was passed in the Senate too, the Marriage Amendment would go back to step one in the two year process.
Yesterday, the Indiana Senate moved the Amendment, as amended, to the floor for a vote next Tuesday. This, in essence, has killed the chances the Amendment will be on the ballot in November.
No, we still do not have marriage equality in Indiana.
But our legislators have saved the citizens a hate-filled, horrible, uncivilized process that would have happened had this Amendment been up for a vote in November.
Saved our children from having to see and hear hate speech from March through November.
Saved pitting neighbor against neighbor for no good purpose.
Saved us from ourselves.
So, on this Valentine's Day, I want to say thank-you. And yet, my thanks just seem so inadequate for the gratitude I feel for all of you.
Thank you for taking a stand, whether it was a stand for yourself, or for your friends and loved ones. Thank you for making phone calls, writing letters, sending e-mails, talking to your legislators.
Thank you for caring enough, for loving enough.
Thank you for saying, loudly or softly, "No."
"Only a marriage between one (1) man and one (1) woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in Indiana.
A legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized."
Keep in mind, Indiana already has a law on the books that prohibits same-sex marriage, so this Amendment was redundant in a "Double Dog, we really don't like marriage equality" way.
For years, the Marriage Amendment was proposed during every legislative session, and for years, it never made it out of whatever committee it was assigned. Then, in 2012, the Republican party took control over both the Indiana House and the Senate, and the Marriage Amendment sailed out of committee and through both chambers during the 2013 Legislative Session. State law required it to be voted on again in the 2014 Legislative Session before it could be placed on the ballot for voters in November 2014 (perfect timing if the GOP wanted to solidify its' hold on state government, as not as many Democrats vote in off-year elections).
In 2013, I wrote to my legislators, and I went to a rally at the Statehouse, but felt like my voice was one of a tiny minority, overwhelmed by the right-wing "Christians" who seemed to own this issue, and the legislature. Both of my legislators voted in favor of the Amendment, and both told me they thought it should be sent to the voters--no question about it.
In Spring 2013, a small but dedicated group started meeting and discussing what we could do, locally, to fight the Amendment. This group was composed of religious leaders, and local LGBT organizations. Thanks to the tireless work of Tom McConville and others, we were able to host a number of local events, including a showing of "Inlaws & Outlaws", which raised awareness and a little money for the cause. I remember looking around the room at one of our meetings, looking at the faces of people who I knew would work so hard to defeat this Amendment, but who I knew had precious little free time to devote to the cause. I knew it would be a true grassroots effort, and that was, well, depressing. There would be so much to do, and so few to do it; after all, most of us worked full-time.
Then came September 2013. I received an e-mail from a friend, who asked if I would be willing to meet with Jeanie of Freedom Indiana. Of course I would! I wasn't sure what Freedom Indiana was, but I agreed to lunch, just to find out. What I found out was that we had help. We had someone who was willing to help us organize everything, and who could connect us to others in the state. Woo hoo!
The rest, as they say, is history. Just before Thanksgiving, I was asked to speak at my church about what I was thankful for. Here's a little bit of what I said:
"And, since
September, THIS congregation has hosted letter-writing “parties”, has held
Sunday Morning Forums on the issue of HJR-6, and Rev. Charlie has devoted his
own time, and his ministerial time, to campaign against HJR-6. I’ve seen Jean Tyner at the door of this
church, gently reminding folks not to leave before they wrote a letter to their
legislators about HJR-6. I’ve seen more
than a score of UU’s, all on cell phones, calling to leave a message with their
legislator, urging them to vote against HJR-6.
I’ve been to a meeting attended by over 80 people, and I know the
majority of those in attendance were UU’s.
And then there was last weekend,
when our church welcomed the community to a concert—a concert to raise money
for Freedom Indiana, a coalition of groups working to defeat HJR-6. My heart swelled as I saw musicians from THIS
church community donating their time and their considerable talent to the
cause: Rev. Charlie and Gail Davis,
Michael Lewis, Martha Gipson, Jason Dufair, Eric and Janice Thiel, Christine
Schertz, Noemi Ybarra, Todd Rush, and Larry Guentert. My heart came close to bursting as I looked around
at those who came to the concert, and saw so many of you. Thanks to all of you for helping raise over
$1,000 for Freedom Indiana!
Karen and I went to the Statehouse
in Indianapolis on Tuesday, and we met with Senator Ron Alting, to express our
concerns about HJR-6. I cannot tell you
how proud I felt when we handed a stack of postcards and letters to him—I know
that stack (which was larger than any other stack in the state) had to have
weighed nearly 8 lbs, and I daresay a good portion of that was produced by
UUs.
Yes, I felt proud, but I mostly felt
gratitude. I am grateful, so grateful to
all of you, for all you have done for me, for my family, and for the LGBT
community.
I
am thankful for community—for this, my church community."All the organizing, all the letters, all the phone calls, all the support from allies and LGBT folk alike--ALL of it paid off! On January 27, 2014, OUR Representative, Randy Truitt, proposed an amendment to the Amendment. He proposed the 2nd sentence be removed. His amendment passed with Republican and Democrat support!!! This was a HUGE step, because by changing even one word it effectively started the Amendment process over--if his amendment was passed in the Senate too, the Marriage Amendment would go back to step one in the two year process.
Yesterday, the Indiana Senate moved the Amendment, as amended, to the floor for a vote next Tuesday. This, in essence, has killed the chances the Amendment will be on the ballot in November.
No, we still do not have marriage equality in Indiana.
But our legislators have saved the citizens a hate-filled, horrible, uncivilized process that would have happened had this Amendment been up for a vote in November.
Saved our children from having to see and hear hate speech from March through November.
Saved pitting neighbor against neighbor for no good purpose.
Saved us from ourselves.
So, on this Valentine's Day, I want to say thank-you. And yet, my thanks just seem so inadequate for the gratitude I feel for all of you.
Thank you for taking a stand, whether it was a stand for yourself, or for your friends and loved ones. Thank you for making phone calls, writing letters, sending e-mails, talking to your legislators.
Thank you for caring enough, for loving enough.
Thank you for saying, loudly or softly, "No."

No comments:
Post a Comment