Saturday, March 8, 2014

Eighth Day of Women's History Month: Cristine Swanson Wilson

When I was in high school, I had the great fortune to have Mr. Mel Wilson for a teacher.  He taught "Social Studies":  history, government, economics.  I can't say he was THE reason I majored in Political Science in college, but I know his knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, the subject made it more interesting for me.  I remember he was a Republican, but he was a member of that old GOP--fiscally conservative, but socially liberal; articulate and willing to listen to the other side.
Mr. Wilson was a young guy with a family; he often spoke of his children, and when he spoke of his wife, his voice would change--you could tell he was proud, but also in awe of her.  As a fairly ignorant high school student, I knew so very little about her; I assumed she was "just" a wife and mom.
On the night of our Senior Prom, we got word that Mr. Wilson's wife and children were in a bad auto accident.  In the days that followed, we heard that his kids were fine, but his wife was not--she was in a coma.  I felt so bad for Mr. Wilson, and thought about how hard it would be for him.  I remember mentioning Mrs. Wilson's name to my sister, and was surprised to hear her gasp--I didn't realize she knew Mrs. Wilson.  Yes, she knew her, as Cris Swanson Wilson, an important woman in her own right.

You see, it turns out that Cristine Swanson Wilson was not "just" a wife and mom.  She was the chair of the Commission on the Status of Women in the state of Iowa--the FIRST chair of that Commission. As I've recently read on-line, Wilson "fought for passage of anti discriminatory laws in housing credit education employment and insurance; recognition of homemakers' contributions in inheritance tax determination; a model progressive rape statute; provision for state funding and licensing of childcare centers; creation of a process by which more women could be appointed to state boards and commissions; and creation of the Iowa Women's Hall of Fame. As a women's movement pioneer Wilson helped to found the Iowa Women's Political Caucus and served as the first women chair of the Polk County Republican Platform committee. Her remarkable achievements have contributed to Iowa's recognition nationally as a state characterized by equality and justice."  When I read all of this, I cannot help but imagine what else she could have done for women--in the state of Iowa, and beyond.
At the time of her accident, she not only had been doing amazing things, she was poised for greatness--she was days away from graduating from law school, and many thought she would eventually become the first female governor of Iowa. So much potential, gone far too soon.  In her memory, the Commission on the Status of Women established the Cristine Wilson Medal of Equality and Justice, and it's awarded every year.  Her name is also in the Plaza of Heroines at Iowa State University.
As the years passed, I often thought of Cristine Swanson Wilson; I hoped, for the sake of her family that she had died, but she hung on for 14 years.  My mother sent me her obituary, and after I read it, I did the only thing I could think of to honor her--I posted it on my bulletin board.  That way, every time I looked at the board, I would be reminded of a life of so much potential, and I hoped I would be motivated and inspired to help finish even a little of what Cristine Swanson Wilson started. 

No comments: