Feel free to skip this one if you're not into sports.
Full disclosure: I have never played basketball. I tried to in junior high, but after the 2nd day of practice, I realized my asthma was not going to get better or go away, so I became the team manager instead. I had a great time!
No, I've never played basketball, but I've loved the sport ever since 5th grade, when I could finally understand the sport, AND my dad could finally sneak me in to EVERY game of the Iowa State Girl's Basketball Tournament (yes, it was indeed 3-on-3 back in those days). I was also a huge fan of the Drake Bulldogs' mens team, and happily and loudly cheered the Iowa State mens team in my college days.
I didn't really know much about women who played basketball until we moved here over 24 years ago. My friend Sheena recommended I get tickets for the Purdue women's basketball games, and that was that. I was hooked. I have been a season ticket holder for about 20 years; back in the day (before I was kicked out of my seat for not joining the John Purdue Club), my seat was 4 rows from center court! Yes, I could actually yell at Rene Portland, and she could hear me!!!
I have loved the Purdue women's basketball team for over 20 years, through five coaches and a too-hard-to-count number of players. You might claim it's easy to love a team who wins a lot of games; you might be right. But I have loved the Boiler women through the lean years too; it's easy to cheer for women who leave it all on the court. It's easy to love to watch players who seem to love the game, love to win, and hate to lose. It's very easy to love the women who are recruited to play for Purdue--there are no "hot dogs" and no dirty players--ever.
It's easy to love a team who wins a National Championship.
It's really easy to love a team when you know some of the players.
But I'm not shallow--I love the Boilers because, coach after coach, player after player, they have played to win. They have played with passion. They have played like that, and people have noticed. The local paper has covered them pretty well; they have put article after article on the front page of the Sports Section, because the Purdue women DESERVE to be on the front page of that section. Woman after woman, team after team, they have deserved to be on the front page--they worked so hard to get there, and they were there. If they weren't, the fans wrote scathing letters to the Sports Editor, demanding that the women's team got the recognition they deserved.
Until this season.
This season has been dismal. The players lack passion, drive, and don't seem to care if they win or lose. I'm not making this a blanket statement--there are a couple who seem to want to play.
But the rest of the team has completely sullied the reputation of the women who have played before them. It's sad. And the fans have noticed.
The real tragedy is that the sports writers have noticed too. The team is covered, but the articles are on page 4. Combined with other sports.
And this team deserves it.
The legacy they are supposed to continue? That doesn't deserve this. I'm not assigning blame, but I am asking for someone--anyone--to take responsibility.
And make sure it doesn't happen again. Too many women have worked too hard to make this a team to be proud of; a team that impresses.
Next year, make sure this year is a fluke.
Full disclosure: I have never played basketball. I tried to in junior high, but after the 2nd day of practice, I realized my asthma was not going to get better or go away, so I became the team manager instead. I had a great time!
No, I've never played basketball, but I've loved the sport ever since 5th grade, when I could finally understand the sport, AND my dad could finally sneak me in to EVERY game of the Iowa State Girl's Basketball Tournament (yes, it was indeed 3-on-3 back in those days). I was also a huge fan of the Drake Bulldogs' mens team, and happily and loudly cheered the Iowa State mens team in my college days.
I didn't really know much about women who played basketball until we moved here over 24 years ago. My friend Sheena recommended I get tickets for the Purdue women's basketball games, and that was that. I was hooked. I have been a season ticket holder for about 20 years; back in the day (before I was kicked out of my seat for not joining the John Purdue Club), my seat was 4 rows from center court! Yes, I could actually yell at Rene Portland, and she could hear me!!!
I have loved the Purdue women's basketball team for over 20 years, through five coaches and a too-hard-to-count number of players. You might claim it's easy to love a team who wins a lot of games; you might be right. But I have loved the Boiler women through the lean years too; it's easy to cheer for women who leave it all on the court. It's easy to love to watch players who seem to love the game, love to win, and hate to lose. It's very easy to love the women who are recruited to play for Purdue--there are no "hot dogs" and no dirty players--ever.
It's easy to love a team who wins a National Championship.
It's really easy to love a team when you know some of the players.
But I'm not shallow--I love the Boilers because, coach after coach, player after player, they have played to win. They have played with passion. They have played like that, and people have noticed. The local paper has covered them pretty well; they have put article after article on the front page of the Sports Section, because the Purdue women DESERVE to be on the front page of that section. Woman after woman, team after team, they have deserved to be on the front page--they worked so hard to get there, and they were there. If they weren't, the fans wrote scathing letters to the Sports Editor, demanding that the women's team got the recognition they deserved.
Until this season.
This season has been dismal. The players lack passion, drive, and don't seem to care if they win or lose. I'm not making this a blanket statement--there are a couple who seem to want to play.
But the rest of the team has completely sullied the reputation of the women who have played before them. It's sad. And the fans have noticed.
The real tragedy is that the sports writers have noticed too. The team is covered, but the articles are on page 4. Combined with other sports.
And this team deserves it.
The legacy they are supposed to continue? That doesn't deserve this. I'm not assigning blame, but I am asking for someone--anyone--to take responsibility.
And make sure it doesn't happen again. Too many women have worked too hard to make this a team to be proud of; a team that impresses.
Next year, make sure this year is a fluke.



No comments:
Post a Comment