It was quiet today out in the woods. Just me, Karen, the rustling leaves and the occasional bird or insect weighing in. It was a beautiful day; one to be savored in the short time before autumn turns into winter (I shudder just to write that). The only question I had for most of the hike was: Where did they hide Prophet's Rock? In two trips out there, and following the trail guide, I haven't been able to see it.
As you can tell, I had put last nights' Presidential Debate far out of my mind. Sometimes I get all wrapped up in politics--reading about it, listening to commentary about it, and now, with this crazy blog, writing about it. But I woke up today and thought, "Bleah. I am not going to think about politics today. I'm tired and a little scared about the outcome of the election, and I've got to take a break." OK--I admit I did think about it, but only a little and definitely thought nothing about Sarah Palin. I've had my say about her, and I'm done with her for a while. Today was a day to clear my head, and enjoy just being. A day when the most important decision was what to have for dinner.
Now that the day is almost over, I will take a minute to think about the debate last night. First of all, let me say that Kay is brilliant--I've decided that every debate should include a little glass of Scotch--she brought the bottle. Perhaps John McCain should begin every debate with a little glass of something too--maybe then he will be able to relax and stop sneering (I've had enough of that with our current president). Most important to point out to those of you who are visual patriots: John McCain did not wear a flag pin. Overall, I thought the candidates relied a little too much on old and worn-out soundbites. That being said, at least Obama had some talking points and could enumerate some of the things he planned to do to help get us out of this financial mess. He also spoke of reaching out to our allies, which I think is an incredibly important thing to do within the first few weeks of taking office. You remember, our "old" allies--the ones Chaney/Bush have managed to alienate--Germany, France, Britain (make no mistake, we HAVE alienated Great Britain). John McCain seems to have already dismissed them, which is probably just as well, because people (i.e. the electorate) in those countries hate him, and are terribly worried that we silly Americans might just elect him to office. The other thing that John McCain seems to have overlooked is the fact that, the longer we stay in Iraq, the more terrorists we create. We cannot keep throwing our weight around in the Middle East without at least some elementary understanding of the history of the region and the people who live there. It didn't work for England in India and her other colonies, and it won't work for us.
Some pointers for the candidates before the next debate: for McCain--make eye contact with your opponent. It will piss you off even more, but at least you won't seem so shady. Obama--stay a little angry--forceful is good. It makes you look passionate.
But here's my real advice to McCain--keep being condescending; keep telling Obama that he "just doesn't understand". People love that. Especially the young voters, who just might make a difference in this election. Also, keep bad-mouthing those in Congress you will have to work with to get anything done in the next 4 years. Keep talking about that do-nothing Congress; it will help them so much as they go out campaigning to be re-elected. Keep having those senior moments. Keep doing a few more of those things, and I will enjoy my walks in the woods so much more in the weeks to come, because I won't be nearly as afraid as I have been.
I just have to say, I'm really looking forward to this Thursday night, and the Vice Presidential debate. Perhaps I'll do a little dancing in the streets afterwards?
1 comment:
Even my kids are excited about the VP debate - the 10-year-old told me she can't wait to watch it. Are we rearing smart young women or what?
Naturally, I thought Obama did much better. I know, I know, I'm not terribly objective. But I watched on CNN, where their pundits kept "score" on who was doing better, with both positive and negative scores. Obama kicked McCain's ass.
Post a Comment