I was at work. We set up a television in the lobby, so anyone who wished to could stop and watch. Surprisingly, there were people in the building--counting employees, about 15 people watched Barack Obama being sworn in as our 44th president. Most stayed to hear his speech too. I felt sorry for the moms who had to take care of their kids, who hushed them and then headed out the doors, and who missed history as it was unfolding. I guess they will be able to see it on the "highlights tape", but still...
Some observations:
First of all, I'm so glad the day went along without a hitch. I'm sure I wasn't the only person who feared for the safety of President Obama, his family, and other leaders, as they encountered a real sea of people. However, Rachel Maddow, on MSNBC last night, reported there were no arrests in Washington DC that were a result of the Inauguration crowds.
I love to play "spot the celebrity in the crowd", so it was fun to watch the dignitaries as they came in to take their seats on the platform. At the same time, it was sad to see so many of our elder statesmen and realize how frail they have become.
Not too many hats; I think the last president to wear a hat at his inauguration was John F. Kennedy, and he looked funny. Aretha Franklin DID wear a hat, and what a hat it was! However, I do think she needed to sing "My Country 'Tis of Thee" the way it was written.
The rest of the music, the pomp and the speeches were a mixed bag as well.
I believe each president should have the choice of whether or not to have an invocation and a benediction, BUT I think the prayers themselves should be as ecumenical as possible. Rick Warren did not surprise me--I knew I would be uncomfortable hearing his prayer, and I was. There is no place in a ceremony of the government for specific religious references--the goal should be to invoke the god of as many as possible, not just the God of one group. And the prayers should be as short as possible--it's not necessary to deliver a sermon in the guise of a prayer (not only Rick Warren was guilty of this--Gene Robinson went on a bit long on Sunday as well but redeemed himself by beginning, "Oh God of many understandings"). Rev. Joseph Lowery gave the best prayer of the day in the Benediction--you just can't beat ending a prayer with audience participation!!
Elizabeth Alexander's poem was a fitting footnote for Barack Obama's speech, but damn it's hard to beat Maya Angelou's poem, "On the Pulse of the Morning", which she read at the the 1993 Inauguration of Bill Clinton . In my opinion, there will never be another Inauguration poem to top it.
I wonder how President Obama felt when he looked out on the 2 million people, many waving American flags, who were there to witness his Inauguration? I know I teared up and got goosebumps. Perhaps he was just nervous about his speech, but he really didn't appear to be anything but confident. His demeanor and his words were truly inspiring. Here are some of my favorite quotes (in the order he spoke them):
"On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord. On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn out dogmas, that for far too long have strangled our politics."
"What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them--that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer apply. The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small but whether it works...."
"These ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expediences sake. And so to all other peoples and governments who are watching today, from the grandest capitals to the small village where my father was born: know that America is a friend of each nation and every man, woman, and child who seeks a future of peace and dignity, and that we are ready to lead once more. "
"For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus--and non-believers." Wow--he mentioned non-believers.
And my very favorite of all: "To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict, or blame their societys' ills on the West--know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy."
The true measure of a leader is not what he says in public, but how he acts and what he says in a private setting. I was very happy to see that CNN covered the luncheon after the Inauguration, because it gave me the opportunity to hear President Obama and Vice President Biden speak to what essentially were their friends in Congress. President Obama spoke first, and echoed the sentiments of his Inaugural address. But then he did an amazing thing--after thanking the usual people (hosts, etc.), he thanked the wait staff who served him lunch! I was truly amazed and very heartened to hear our president recognize those people who too often are overlooked. That gesture gave me as much hope for this administration as his Inaugural speech did.
Vice President Biden spoke briefly after the president, and mentioned at least 4 times that the branches of the government were "co-equal"--what a perfect example of how very different he, and the rest of the executive branch, will be from Cheney and the "old guard". Hurray! They plan to follow the Constitution!!
Oh what a day--with many more to follow.
No comments:
Post a Comment