Thursday, February 26, 2009

So I wrote a Letter to the Editor

I'm not sure they will be publishing this one, but I just had to say it, or...well...explode. My letter was in response to one from a local priest, who took President Obama to task, and ended by saying, "Respect and defense of innocent life is the only chance we have for true peace and authentic healing." This priest is a one-issue kinda guy, and I'm just tired of reading the same tired rhetoric. Pre-born is cherished, and post-born---well, you're on your own. So here is what I wrote:
******************************************************************************

"Recently, this page has contained letters from two individuals who never have anything new to say about their pet subject—“pro-life”, and yet feel compelled to expound on the “evils” of those who actually think beyond the life of the “unborn child”. One writer was so bold as to question the benefits of the Stimulus Plan—I guess putting people to work wasn’t “pro-life” enough.
Here’s my challenge to them, and to all others who feel they are “pro-life”: do something to help those humans who are actually here on earth, and then write to tell about that. Send a large check to the mother who has 8 newborns, and 6 others at home—her address is in California, and she sure could use that money. Open a daycare center that is free to all families. All families—no exceptions. Write letters extolling the virtues of Head Start to Congress--tell them to fund that program to the fullest. Hold fundraisers for those local agencies that help handicapped individuals—dedicate a portion of your own household income to these groups. Be vocal advocates of the proposed Juvenile Center; those kids are most in need of help. Better yet, ask how you can help raise money. Volunteer for the Mental Health Association, Meals on Wheels, or the Community Health Center. Open the doors of your church for an elder daycare center, to go with the free childcare center.
In other words, walk the talk—work for those outside the womb too. "

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I am keeping my eyes open for it - but you just never know what they'll print. Here's hoping your reasoned voice gets to the masses.