Monday, June 22, 2009

Proclamation # 1


As some of you may know, I turn 50 this year. In honor of this momentous occasion, and...well, because I can, I've decided to issue a series of Proclamations. Some will be serious, some will be funny, but they will all be truthful, thoughtful, and mine alone.
So here it is, Proclamation # 1:

"From now on, I will show affection to Karen in public (and hopefully she will reciprocate). These PDAs will be appropriate and will not gross out my children."

There. I feel better. There is a reason I have made this my first Proclamation. It was prompted by an article in Scientific American, which basically says that although people may say they are supportive of gays, and say they wouldn't be bothered by a PDA involving a same-sex couple, a recent study finds quite the opposite. The article encourages gay and lesbian couples to show more affection in public, so that the "public" gets used to seeing it. The more the "public" sees it, the more "normal" it will be for them.
But here's the rub. Sometimes it's just not safe for gays and lesbians to show affection in public. Sigh.

No comments: