It's back to school time (Erika starts grad school tomorrow--I'm so proud of her!). But for American students, class has been in session for weeks now, and many of those students have already had their first quizzes. In this spirit, I offer my "quiz" to all of you; it's a three part, essay quiz, but rest assured, you will not be graded. I just would like to hear your opinions.
Question # 1: Earlier this week, a female college student came in to my place of business. She was obviously an undergrad (I do know how to spot the younger ones), and she was wearing a t-shirt that said, "Future Trophy Wife". In my vast experience as a woman, I could tell she was NOT "trophy wife" material. Should I:
a) Assume she bought it for herself, and laughed out loud at the joke on her shirt? In other words, realized that both of us knew she was too good to set her life ambition to be a "trophy wife"?
b) Ask her to explain it to me? I was just puzzled by it, and couldn't understand why anyone, even if they had no clean laundry left, would wear an article of clothing like this.
c) Assume someone else bought it for her, thinking this was a worthy thing to strive for in life? If so, should I have laughed and said, "Oh, how ironic!"
d) Realized it was just a t-shirt, and not a very thoughtful one at that.
Feel free to talk amongst yourselves.
I just really didn't understand the meaning of the shirt. I really, really wanted to ask her if this really, really was her goal in life, and if so, why she was advertising it ahead of time? If it wasn't her goal in life, why would she want to wear such a stupid shirt?
Don't worry--the questions just get harder....
1 comment:
Good golly. I wouldn't even know what to say to that. What I can do is make sure my own daughters don't fall victim to that mentality.
Post a Comment