Fast-forward about 25 years: I was channel-surfing one day, and came across WWF. It was like watching those old wrestling shows on steriods! Lights, sounds, props, flash, energy times 10. A bit more fake bloody too. I could only watch it for a couple of minutes, because of the sensory overload--it was just too much for my system. But the crowd was the same--fanatically cheering for the "good guy", screaming at the ref for missing that dirty hit. I could only guess that if you were a spectator in the arena, you went home absolutely spent of all energy, satisfied that the good guys prevailed until next week. If you were a WWF fan, it was all very clear-cut.
So, what happened to the WWF? I must admit I haven't done any research in preparation for writing this blog, so it could still be as big as it once was. But I don't remember seeing or hearing much about it for a few years now, so my guess it's gone the way of the Beanie Baby and Pet Rocks.
I say: BRING IT BACK. Americans need the the Good Guys, and they especially need the Bad Guys. They need someone to hate, to despise utterly and completely. Religion doesn't do it for these people--they need to scream and yell and be happy when good triumphs over evil once a week.
Without WWF, they are vulnerable, easy marks for the corporations-in-grassroots organization-clothing. Dick Armey and his buddies saw a golden opportunity to caricatured President Obama, to make him a "force for evil". To some, he's literally the Joker to "our" Batman (whoever that is). We saw it happen last summer, and if we don't wake up and see what's truly happening, we will be paying for it at the ballot box in November. By then the crazies will be in power, and we'll be scratching our heads and wondering who our leaders really are. Mark my words.

No comments:
Post a Comment