Thursday, March 25, 2010

Use Your Words

When the kids were growing up, we always tried to tell them to "use your words" instead of resorting to violence against another living being.  As such, my kids have grown up to be very articulate, and not very violent, people.  I am proud of them for this, and many, many other things. 
So, I decided to practice what I preached this morning, when I opened the paper to this article.  In case you can't read it, I'll tell  you this:  our Republican governor has decided to direct state resources to file a lawsuit against the federal government and the newly signed Health Care Reform law, even though he sees no chance the state will win in court.  This, at a time when locally, we will potentially lay off up to 200 teachers.  That's how he wants to spend state money. 
So, I wrote a Letter to the Editor:

"Republicans--it's time to step up and get your party in order!  Your elected leaders are playing a dangerous game of "rile the Tea Party and domestic terrorists"; they have, with their words and lack of condemnation, indicated it's OK to spit on congressional leaders, and yell racial and homophobic slurs at others.  After your leaders voted against Health Care Reform (and lost), they went out and used inflammatory rhetoric to "fire up" the disgruntled.  This rhetoric has led to violence directed at at least 10 members of the House; violence that could escalate because no Republican leader has stepped up to speak against it.  Really, Republicans--do you want to be known as the party that started a violent uprising in this country?  Don't Republicans have more respect for their country?
If this is what Republican members of the House are advocating, I guess I should be happy that Republican members of the Senate are only forcing committees to halt their important work at 2 p.m. every day, and are conspiring to throw up as many procedural roadblocks as they can.  I guess I should be happy that our own Republican governor is only wasting precious taxpayer money on frivolous lawsuits to stop major health care reform from helping Hoosiers.      
Shame on all of you.  Our country deserves better than this."

I stand by every word I used.

No comments: