Sunday, June 22, 2014

Day Twenty-two

This, from Kate Clinton:

"While my American family and our extended international family were whooping it up for the historic Obama victory, I banged pans and wept for joy with the best of them. But I also had that sad, dissociated not-quite-part-of feeling I had at family gatherings when I was young. Actually, I have never felt gayer. Make no mistake:  election night 2008 was an amazingly reparative night, a triumphant trifecta signaling the end of Nixon's southern strategy, the Reagan revolution, and the Bush regime. If Bush could consider his selection as president the first time and his slim election victory the second time to be mandates, then we can certainly call the Obama victory a landslide. It was a landslide, and it collaterally crushed us, as California, Arizona, Florida, and Arkansas passed anti-gay ballot initiatives. It was a bittersweet night. So excuse me if I seem an ungracious party-pooper, in danger of becoming more bitter than sweet. At this flabbergastingly amazing moment in our history, trust me, I do not like this feeling either. Action is always antidote to injustice. It is time for pro-active strategies.  If gay people are not full American citizens, let's stop paying taxes and re-invest in ourselves. It is time for our own ballot initiative to make divorce illegal and all divorced people disenfranchised felons. It is time for a general strike or rainbow flu. Until further notice, all gay people should go rogue."

No comments: