Thursday, November 28, 2013

Eleven Gratitudes

Eleven gratitudes, because Shannon gave me the number eleven.

  1. Today, and every day, I am overjoyed Karen is in my life.  I'm grateful she decided to move here, and that she's stayed.  She loves me, lifts me up, and I don't know what I'd do without her love and support.  I especially love her evil side and her wicked sense of humor that makes me laugh so hard.
  2. I am thankful for my children and the great people they have become--healthy, happy, caring adults.  It might sound strange to be thankful for this, but really there are no guarantees in this life.  Despite your best efforts, sometimes you lose your children--to drugs, to illness, to simple misunderstandings, or gross misfortune.  Yes, I am very grateful, for I know I had so little to do with it.  
  3. I am grateful I have an extended family, and enjoy our good relationships.  I love their love and support, and feel it no matter how far away we are, and no matter how long it's been between visits.  I am also grateful for my family of choice--those wonderful friends who give so much to me every day--who make me laugh, who make me think, who like to sit on my porch, who find ways to "touch" me daily on Facebook.  
  4. I am thankful every day for the medicine and the doctors and nurses who keep me well--they keep my asthma and allergies under control, and my lungs functioning.  Today, I am especially grateful for the nurses and doctors who are working on this holiday, and are helping my Mom get stronger, so she can leave the hospital as soon as possible.
  5. I am thankful every single day that my mom is still here, and that soon she will be here to help us celebrate the wedding of Erika and Jonny, and Cookie Weekend!  My Mom is a gift I never take for granted.
  6. I am thankful I have a job.  I am also thankful that my job does not entail cleaning snake cages.
  7. I am grateful for books, and for the ability to read.  Especially for the ability to read Dr. Seuss and Anna Quindlen. 
  8. I am thankful for having enough--enough food, enough for a house, a car, and enough so that I can travel with Karen, and enjoy an occasional beer with friends.  
  9. I am grateful to live in a country where I am free to "critique" our leaders, our laws, our political system, and where I am not harmed for trying to make our community a better place for everyone. 
  10. I am thankful I have the ability to taste, touch, smell, see, hear, and understand things.  I am also thankful for having the ability to speak my mind (although others may not be as thankful for that!).  
  11. I am grateful for water, because I like to shower, swim, and someday I may snorkel again...  

No comments: