Monday, February 13, 2012

Can We Take a Moment?

In the midst of another Monday, another political-story-that-doesn't-mean-squat-really, I would ask you to take a moment and look at this photo.  Really LOOK at it.
Look behind the candidate--at the woman to his left.  Look at his wife, Karen.
This should tell you all you need to know about the measure of this man.
This man is not "pro-life".  This man is pro-Rick Santorum.
How can anyone look at her and not feel sympathy?  Her face says it all--she wants, needs to be somewhere else.  Not here, at stupid CPAC.  No, she knows she should be with her child.  You remember, the one who's dying?  Three years old?  Isabella, who has a fatal genetic disorder?  Remember her?
Her mom remembers.  Her mom knows where she should be, and it's not here on this stage, at this Convention that is meaningless.
 Oh yes, you can justify it by saying that Karen has a choice, that she chose to be with her husband.  Really?  You think she really has a choice?  When she's married to Mr-I'm-pro-life-and-women-can't-have-that-choice?
Look at him.  Look at her.  Is THIS the man you want to lead the free world?  Someone who has chosen a meaningless job over his own kid, who is dying?  A man who, on his deathbed, will probably say, "I should have spent more time at the office?"
Pro-life indeed.
I was once a sick kid.  Really pretty sick--at about age 3, I was in the hospital with pneumonia.  In an oxygen tent.  That was back in the day when parents weren't allowed to stay with their sick kids--they had to follow strict visiting hours.  I cannot tell you how much I missed my parents when they weren't there.  Yes, I do remember.  And when I look at this photo, my heart breaks.
My advice to the Santorum family?  Go home.  Cuddle and hug that little girl that really needs you right now.  Nothing else in this world should matter more.    

2 comments:

leales said...

Nobody wants to be there but Rick. It breaks my heart!

leales said...

Nobody but Rick wants to be there. It breaks my heart!