Tuesday, September 11, 2012

"Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?": Response # 3

Since Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, and the GOP have asked, I will answer their question.
Response # 3 to the question:  "Are YOU better off than you were 4 years ago?"
Yes, I am.  Four years ago, "Healthcare" was one of the biggest issues for voters.  I was very concerned; as a person who pays for multiple prescriptions every month, I knew if my employer stopped providing health insurance, I would be...well...dead.  
Health care is the single most expensive benefit that employers provide (after salary, that is).  Small companies suffer more than companies who have large numbers of employees, because they don't have the sheer numbers of employees that might allow them to negotiate lower premiums with insurance companies.  When lobbying Congress during the Affordable Care Act debate, the Obama administration included provisions for small businesses.  My employer received a rebate this year.  
Make no mistake--rising health care costs are passed on by companies to consumers; you might not see it directly, but might experience it as less hours of operation (your local library might have to close earlier every day), less "perks" (no free pens!), and most tragically, less donations to charities by companies.  
The Affordable Care Act has only been in place for a short time, but we have seen the benefit.  As humans, we tend to want instant gratification.  This issue requires patience.  I can be patient, if it means that someday, my health care issues are no worry at all.  

No comments: