Sunday, September 23, 2012

"Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?": Response # 17

Since Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, and the GOP have asked, I will answer their question.
Response # 17 to the question:  "Are YOU better off than you were 4 years ago?"
The answer is yes.  Yes, I am better off. 
Before Barack Obama was elected president, the wall of presidents looked pretty homogeneous--all male, all white.  I wasn't convinced that anything more diverse could be allowed, and that was sad, and frustrating.  Oh sure, there have been women who have run for president or vice president (Victoria Woodhull, Shirley Chisholm, Geraldine Ferraro, Hilary Clinton, Sarah Palin), but not one of them has yet to win.  
But the election of Barack Obama changed that.  His election gave me hope for no other reason than when people think about who has been president in this country, their image is not just pale and same ol', same ol'.  
So yes, I am better off than I was four years ago--my president has color.  And a new perspective.

No comments: