Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Reason # 12 Why I Won't Vote for Mitt Romney

Reason # 12 why I won't vote for Mitt Romney?  Answering a question with a question;  Did you see the Foreign Policy Debate?  
So much to say, so little time.
I think I will focus on one country in this reason; what I say may be controversial, and let me assure you that I am trying to be thoughtful, not provocative with my words.  
I won't vote for Mitt Romney because of his odd position on Israel.  I really can't understand him, and some of what he says is troubling. 
First of all, let me make one thing clear--I completely believe Israel has a right to exist.  They have a right to a peaceful existence.  But they do not have a right to be a bully in the region, especially not when it comes to the Palestinian people.  
It's not a unique thing to Israel; plenty of countries around the world have border disputes with their neighbors.  Plenty of countries hate their neighbors, some for very justifiable reasons.  
But here's what I don't understand:  Mitt Romney's seemingly utter, blind, devotion to Israel.  He's vilified President Obama over and over for the administration's relationship with Israel, and yet I don't hear that criticism coming from anywhere else except the far right in the US.  What is it about Israel that Romney finds so "special"?  Why does he seem to want to coddle a nation that seems perfectly capable of taking care of itself?  I mean, have you heard about its security forces?  Seen Israel defend itself over and over again?  I don't think they are lacking for anything when it comes to defense--from cyber to traditional warfare, it's quite covered.  And the US has always defended Israel--the current administration is not an exception. 
Here's what I think.  
I think Mitt Romney, and the far right in this country are terrified---horrified---to think that Muslims are living so close to so many "holy sites" in that region.  Those pagans are just getting too close to the holy spots of the true religions.  Ironic, since Mitt Romney's religion was founded in the US, and that's where their holy spots are.  
Yes, it all boils down to religion, and that's such a dangerous thing.  Religion--THE worst reason to go into war, or to keep conflict going, and until all humans in this world stop believing their "God" is #1, we will never see peace.  
If Mitt Romney wants to make an impact on this world, if he truly wants peace (he did go on and on about that the other night, didn't he?), then maybe he needs to consult with me on this issue.  
Because here's my solution--a perfect solution for that little bit of land that every major religion thinks is so important, thinks it's worth killing over:
Close it.  
Yup, close that "holy land".  Remove every last person for a 50 mile radius.  No houses, no farms, no dwellings of any kind.  The only structures allowed would be those that could be closed down at 9 pm. and opened again at 9 am.  Rental only--payable to the UN.  Nobody owns the land, and you can only visit it.  You're a Christian?  Go to your holy site and visit.  Go away at the end of the day.  Need to visit the Wailing Wall?  Go ahead.  "God" will hear your prayers while you're there, and most likely, while you're not.  Muslim?  Go in, be filled with  love of your religion, and then leave.  
I would consider voting for Mitt Romney if he had the fortitude to suggest such a thing.  If his solution for the region was, "If you can't play nicely, then nobody gets to live there."  
But he won't.  He will continue to coddle Israel.  At the expense of true peace.
I say "Imagine".
I say I"m not voting for Mitt Romney.

No comments: