Monday, October 29, 2012

Top Ten Reasons I Won't Vote for Mitt Romney: # 8

Reason # 8 why I won't vote for Mitt Romney?  
Social Security.  I will need it, you will need it (unless you're already retired, and even then you still need it).
I've been employed, full-time, for about 8 years.  I worked part-time before that, and before I had kids, I was employed full-time.  So, I've worked--as a full-time, paid employee, and as a full-time mom.  I've paid into the Social Security system, and so has my employer.  I'm an eternal optimist, so I believe when I retire, I will get Social Security benefits.  I hope that, along with my pension, will allow me to live without being a burden on my kids.  
Yes, I know the Social Security system has problems, but can you imagine life without it?  I can't.  I don't earn enough to afford to take care of my aging parents, nor do any of my siblings.  I don't know many people who do earn a sufficient income, nor do I know a lot of aging seniors who could manage without Social Security and Medicare. 
I am not ready to give up on the Social Security system.  I am ready to hear ideas to reform it, but give up?  Uh uh.
Mitt Romney is reportedly worth $250 million.  I say "reportedly" because this guy, running for president, has managed to NOT release his income tax returns.  So, we don't really know how much money he has, nor do we know where he keeps it.
But suffice to say, he will not need to move in with his kids in his twilight years, nor will they need to move in with theirs, nor their kids with theirs--they have a great little retirement scheme all their own.  
Bully for them. 
As for the rest of us?
Well, we're really not sure.  I even checked the official Mitt Romney website, and there are only sketchy details there.  My fear, shared by others, is that Mitt Romney will listen to his running mate, Paul Ryan.  Ryan would like to privatize Social Security--going to Individual Retirement Accounts; accounts that would be invested in the Stock Market and with banks.  Perhaps Mr. Ryan slept through late 2008.  If we were already using Individual Retirement Accounts back then, our seniors would be in a whole world of hurt right now--their investments would have been lost, and only now slowly recovering.  
No thanks, Mitt Romney.  Social Security?  Yes, please. 

No comments: