Tuesday, October 2, 2012

"Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?": Response # 22

Since Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, and the GOP have asked, I will answer their question.
Response # 22 to the question:  "Are YOU better off than you were 4 years ago?"
The answer is yes.  Yes, I am better off. 
I am better off because our president, Barack Obama, believes millionaires should pay their fair share of taxes.  
I do not begrudge paying taxes.  I actually wish I made more money, so I could do a better job of supporting my country, my state, and my community.  Really.  
I see my tax dollars at work every day.  I leave the house every morning, and know that a well-trained fire department will respond if, heaven forbid, my house catches fire.  I also feel safe leaving said house, because the police in my city do a great job of keeping citizens safe, by enforcing traffic laws, and making sure lawlessness does not reign in our community.  I drive on well-maintained roads, I pass by schools where students are learning (and will gain skills that will allow them to help me in my old age), and a university where discoveries are made every day.  I go to a great, well-stocked public library.  To get into work, I walk on stable sidewalks, and I don't have to walk through trash-strewn streets.  I can breathe the air, can drink the water that comes out of the faucet, and know that the food I eat is safe for human consumption.  
I could go on and on, but the point is made.  I cannot understand why those who have the most do not want to pay to support our great country; they seem quite content to let those who can least afford to, do so, but do not hold themselves to as high a standard.  It sucks, quite frankly, and I am very tired of it.  
Four years ago, my president did a lot to make his friends and cronies more wealthy than they already were.  He did not think of the "little people" because he never was one.  
Barack Obama thinks of the "little people"--he's one of us  
There is no such thing as a free lunch.  Those of us in the lower and middle income levels know this very well.    
I will sign off with these words from Elizabeth Warren: 
"I think the basic notion is right. Nobody got rich on their own. Nobody. People worked hard, they buil[t] a business, God bless, but they moved their goods on roads the rest of us helped build, they hired employees the rest of us helped educate, they plugged into a power grid the rest of us helped build," she said.
"The rest of us made those investments because we wanted businesses to flourish, we wanted them to grow, we wanted them to create opportunity for all of us. That's what we do together. We get richer as a country when we make those investments."

1 comment:

leales said...

You nailed this one!