Reason # 13 why I won't vote for Mitt Romney?
Because I believe in progression, not regression.
Because I want the gains we have made under President Obama to stick; not be overturned by a President Romney.
For all of Mitt Romney's flip-flopping, one thing is very clear to me: he despises LGBT people. Does not care about us, would not grant us "special" rights, and certainly does not think of us as humans of equal status.
And, he will probably rescind at least two Executive Orders issued by President Obama:
I will return to LGBT issues later in my countdown, but for now, know this: when I vote in November, I will take some people into the voting booth with me. I will take the young LGBT of our country, who are too young to vote, and I will take future generations of LGBT with me. They can watch as I use my vote in an effort to hold off a return to the dark days of shame, darkness, and lying. They can look over my shoulder as I cast my vote--my vote for equality, for freedom, for the pursuit of happiness. Because I believe in progression, not regression.
Because I want the gains we have made under President Obama to stick; not be overturned by a President Romney.
For all of Mitt Romney's flip-flopping, one thing is very clear to me: he despises LGBT people. Does not care about us, would not grant us "special" rights, and certainly does not think of us as humans of equal status.
And, he will probably rescind at least two Executive Orders issued by President Obama:
- Don't Ask, Don't Tell: Mitt Romney is a little squeamish the issue, saying "I believe it should have been kept in place until conflict was over." However, his advisers are more outspoken. If we can't return to the "good old days", they want to at least see "Separate but Equal". AND, there was that horrible, but very telling moment in a primary debate, when a gay soldier was booed, and not one candidate spoke up for him.
- Hospital visitation rights for same-sex couples. This is VERY important to so many of us, and it's such a basic right. President Obama recognized this. Mitt Romney does not.
I'm voting FOR President Obama.

No comments:
Post a Comment