Reason # 21 why I won't vote for Mitt Romney?
Because I believe in marriage equality. Because President Obama believes in marriage equality. Mitt Romney believes marriage (as far as anyone can tell) is "Between one man and one woman."
In other words, Mitt Romney is in favor of a theocracy in this country. Not a republic, where the people elect other people to represent them--he believes government officials should be divinely guided.
Because there's no logical explanation for supporting marriage between "one man and one woman". No LOGICAL reason, just a lot of personal opinions, and religiously guided sentiment. I've not heard of a logical reason, have you?
And here's the thing--using religion to guide your governmental decisions is a slippery slope. Take, for instance, Rep. Paul Broun from Georgia. And he'll probably be re-elected. By the same people who are terrified of the establishment of Sharia Law in the United States. I don't understand the hypocrisy of "religious law, but not that religious law".
But there's a bigger thing in play here, bigger because it involves our children. Which makes it a way bigger reason to vote against Mitt Romney in my opinion.
It's the message President Obama clearly sent when he said he believed everyone, gay or straight, had the same rights to happiness. He sent a clear message to all those kids out there who are struggling with how society views who they are. He said, "I support you, and I think you are a worthy person--worthy of everything anyone else is entitled to."
Contrast that to the message from Mitt Romney: "You are not normal. You are not entitled, no matter how much you love someone in the future, to have the same rights as a couple as Ann and me. Turn 21, become an adult, and you know what? On so many levels, life will suck for you. Because me, and so many bigots like me, have all the power (and the blessings of our bigoted churches)."
Equality and light, or bigotry and darkness.
The choice is so very clear.
Because I believe in marriage equality. Because President Obama believes in marriage equality. Mitt Romney believes marriage (as far as anyone can tell) is "Between one man and one woman."
In other words, Mitt Romney is in favor of a theocracy in this country. Not a republic, where the people elect other people to represent them--he believes government officials should be divinely guided.
Because there's no logical explanation for supporting marriage between "one man and one woman". No LOGICAL reason, just a lot of personal opinions, and religiously guided sentiment. I've not heard of a logical reason, have you?
And here's the thing--using religion to guide your governmental decisions is a slippery slope. Take, for instance, Rep. Paul Broun from Georgia. And he'll probably be re-elected. By the same people who are terrified of the establishment of Sharia Law in the United States. I don't understand the hypocrisy of "religious law, but not that religious law".
But there's a bigger thing in play here, bigger because it involves our children. Which makes it a way bigger reason to vote against Mitt Romney in my opinion.
It's the message President Obama clearly sent when he said he believed everyone, gay or straight, had the same rights to happiness. He sent a clear message to all those kids out there who are struggling with how society views who they are. He said, "I support you, and I think you are a worthy person--worthy of everything anyone else is entitled to."
Contrast that to the message from Mitt Romney: "You are not normal. You are not entitled, no matter how much you love someone in the future, to have the same rights as a couple as Ann and me. Turn 21, become an adult, and you know what? On so many levels, life will suck for you. Because me, and so many bigots like me, have all the power (and the blessings of our bigoted churches)."
Equality and light, or bigotry and darkness.
The choice is so very clear.

No comments:
Post a Comment